All barrels include the following:
- 55-gallon capacity, shapes may vary.
- A screw-on top with aluminum screening to keep out leaves, debris and insects.
- A front hose shutoff valve to connect a hose or to fill a watering can
- A side fitting to connect multiple barrels with a linking/regular garden hose.
- An overflow fitting & cap to drain water away when the barrel is full.
A wide overflow upgrade optional to drain faster and avoid overflow.**
- Handouts for installation & use instructions.
- A 5-year warranty on materials and workmanship
Wide Overflow Upgrade **
During heavy downpours, rain barrels can fill faster than a garden hose overflow can output excess water. The Wide Overflow Upgrade, has double capacity (as compared to a garden hose) in order to channel away huge amounts of rainwater to help prevent overflow and puddling at the barrel.
The wide overflow upgrade adds an internal 90 degree PVC (1-1/2") pipe -- connected to an external 6 foot long wide hose (supplied), and will channel excess water away more efficiently.
Not all barrel colors are pictured with the wide overflow attachment, for a picture see the last two pictures of the black barrel with the white PVC inside, and the wide hose attached to the side.
All regular barrels are fitted with a regular sized hose overflow fitting & cap. These work in most cases, but we encourage calculating your average amount of water diverted from roofs in advance to purchasing. More information and calculations are available on our website.
With proper installation, maintenance and use, rain barrels and tumbling composters should function properly. The Washtenaw County Conservation District assumes no liability for the installation, maintenance, property damage or injury that may be associated with the use of rain barrels or tumbling composters.